1993 Mumbai blast convict shifted to Nashik jail: Cops tell HC
Mumbai: The Maharashtra police on Friday informed the Bombay High Court that a 70-year-old 1993 bomb blasts convict had been shifted from Kolhapur Central prison to Nashik Jail on medical ground.
Taking this statement on record, a bench headed by Justice SC Dharmadhikari disposed of a petition filed by the prisoner, Mohammed Kasam Lajpuria alias Mechanic Chacha, seeking transfer from Kolhapur jail to any prison in Mumbai, Thane or Nashik.
When the petition came up for hearing, police informed the court through the public prosecutor that the prisoner had already been shifted and nothing survives in the petition.
Accordingly, the bench disposed of the matter.
The counsel for the petitioner, Farhana Shah, pleaded that the convict was totally confined to a wheel-chair/bed as he suffered from physical disability and various ailments, such as lumbar canal stenosis and cervical spondalitis. He had also got a paralytic stroke earlier and was completely dependent on others for his daily routine jobs, she told the court.
However, the authorities had turned down his plea on August 10 through a letter, which his lawyer produced before the court.
Lajpuria was sentenced to 10 years of rigorous imprisonment under TADA (P) Act after he was found guilty of participating in the landing of arms and ammunition at Dighi coast in nearby Raigad district, prior to the 1993 serial bomb blasts in which 257 persons were killed and more than 700 injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report