1993 Mumbai blasts accused Tahir Merchant arrested
Mumbai: Tahir Merchant, an absconding
accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts case, was Tuesday arrested by CBI following his deportation from Abu Dhabi.
"Merchant alias Tahir Taklya, a close associate of
prime accused in the case Tiger Memon, was brought to Mumbai
this afternoon and was produced before a special TADA court
here which remanded him in police custody till June 14," CBI
official Anand Somani said.
The TADA court had issued non-bailable warrant against
Merchant in October 1993 after he was declared absconding in
the blasts case.
"A red corner notice was issued against Merchant and
also he was declared a proclaimed offender by the TADA court,"
said defence lawyer Farhana Shah, who represented nearly 100
accused in the case.
"Merchant had in Dubai received several accused from
India and had arranged for them to be sent to Karachi in
Pakistan for arms training. He allegedly provided them with
travel documents and money for the training," Somani said.
Merchant had also allegedly attended meetings in
Dubai, where the 1993 blast conspiracy was hatched by Memon
and fugitive Dawood Ibrahim.
Recently, CBI had arrested another absconding accused
in the case, Feroze Abdul Rashid Khan from Navi Mumbai. Trial
against him is yet to begin.
The TADA court is conducting the trial of extradited
gangster Abu Salem, Mustafa Dossa and Abdul Qayyum.
In 2007, special TADA Judge Pramod Kode had convicted
100 accused including filmstar Sanjay Dutt in connection with
the blasts. Most of them appealed in the Supreme Court, which
is yet to hear them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'