1993 Mumbai blasts accused Tahir Merchant arrested
Mumbai: Tahir Merchant, an absconding
accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts case, was Tuesday arrested by CBI following his deportation from Abu Dhabi.
"Merchant alias Tahir Taklya, a close associate of
prime accused in the case Tiger Memon, was brought to Mumbai
this afternoon and was produced before a special TADA court
here which remanded him in police custody till June 14," CBI
official Anand Somani said.
The TADA court had issued non-bailable warrant against
Merchant in October 1993 after he was declared absconding in
the blasts case.
"A red corner notice was issued against Merchant and
also he was declared a proclaimed offender by the TADA court,"
said defence lawyer Farhana Shah, who represented nearly 100
accused in the case.
"Merchant had in Dubai received several accused from
India and had arranged for them to be sent to Karachi in
Pakistan for arms training. He allegedly provided them with
travel documents and money for the training," Somani said.
Merchant had also allegedly attended meetings in
Dubai, where the 1993 blast conspiracy was hatched by Memon
and fugitive Dawood Ibrahim.
Recently, CBI had arrested another absconding accused
in the case, Feroze Abdul Rashid Khan from Navi Mumbai. Trial
against him is yet to begin.
The TADA court is conducting the trial of extradited
gangster Abu Salem, Mustafa Dossa and Abdul Qayyum.
In 2007, special TADA Judge Pramod Kode had convicted
100 accused including filmstar Sanjay Dutt in connection with
the blasts. Most of them appealed in the Supreme Court, which
is yet to hear them.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij