1993 Mumbai blasts: SC dismisses review plea of Memon family members
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed the petitions filed by lone death row convict Yakub Abdul Razak Memon and his three family members, awarded life term in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts, seeking review of its judgement.
A bench comprising Chief Justice P Sathasivam and Justice BS Chauhan did not find any merit in their review petitions seeking re-examination of the March 21 verdict.
The same bench had upheld the death sentence of Memon, a key conspirator with mob boss Dawood Ibrahim in the 1993 blasts.
The court had also awarded life sentence to Memon`s sister-in-law Rubina, his brothers Essa and Yusuf.
The apex court had recently rejected the curative petition filed by Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, who was awarded five year jail term under the Arms Act in connection with the case.
Regarding Memon, a chartered accountant by profession and brother of proclaimed offender Tiger Memon, the apex court had said that he was the "driving force" and a "mastermind" behind the blasts that had rocked 12 crowded areas in Mumbai leaving 257 dead and over 700 injured.
Essa was found guilty of conspiracy and allowing use of his flat at Al-Husseni building in Mahim for meetings to plan the blasts and storing arms and ammunition.
The apex court had held that Rubina had arranged finances through her bank account and allowed her car to be used by terrorist for carrying co-conspirators, arms, ammunition and explosives.
Yusuf, a chronic schizophrenic, was also held guilty of similar offences and the apex court had refused to show leniency on him on medical grounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you