1993 Surat blasts: SC acquits all 11 convicts
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday acquitted all 11 convicts in the 1993 Surat blasts cases.
A school girl was killed and several others were injured in the 1993 Surat blasts that took place in January and February.
An apex court bench of Justice TS Thakur and Justice C Nagappam, while acquitting the 11 accused, reversed the TADA court verdict that gave them imprisonment varying from 10 to 20 years.
The two blasts had taken place in January 1993 in Varachha area and on the platform number one of Surat railway station during the communal riots that broke out after the demolition of Babri Masjid.
The blast at Varachha had claimed the life of a school girl, Alpa Patel, and injured 11 others, while that on the railway station had wounded around 20 people.
In October 2008, a TADA court in Surat had sentenced five persons, including former Congress minister Mohammad Surti, to 20 years in prison while others were awarded 10 years jail term in the cases.
(With agency inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged