1997 blast case: Top LeT bomb expert Abdul Karim Tunda sent to police custody
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Wednesday remanded Lashkar-e-Toiba bomb expert Abdul Karim Tunda to 10 days police custody in connection with a 1997 bomb blast case.
Tunda was produced in court today after expiry of seven days police custody in connection with another case in which the LeT terrorist is accused of allegedly helping Pakistani nationals to infiltrate into India.
The Special Cell of Delhi Police moved the court seeking extension of the custody of Tunda, saying he had to be interrogated at length to unearth his terror links.
Police said they need to interrogate Tunda to know about other conspirators who were part of the conspiracy which led to the blast.
"Accused (Tunda) is remanded to police custody remand for 10 days for his sustained interrogation and for unearthing the links of conspiracy and links of accused with terrorist organisation and financiers as well," the court said.
The Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) terrorist is suspected to be involved in over 40 bombings in the country.
In Delhi, he is wanted in 21 terror cases related to 1994, 1996 and 1998.
Tunda was arrested in Uttarakhand`s Banbasa area close to the Nepal border when he was trying to enter India Aug 16.
Tunda was involved in the 1993 Mumbai serial bombings that left over 250 dead, Delhi bomb blasts of 1997-98 and serial bombings in Uttar Pradesh and also in Haryana and Punjab, police said.
Police said he trained young radicals in preparing bombs with locally available materials like urea, nitric acid, potassium chloride, nitrobenzene and sugar, and planting these in crowded places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price