2 Army officers honey-trapped by foreign operatives: Antony
New Delhi: Two Army officers have been honey-trapped by alleged foreign operatives in the recent years, Defence Minister A K Antony has said.
"Two instances have been reported where officers were compromised by alleged foreign operatives," Antony said in written reply to a question raised yesterday in Rajya Sabha.
He said inquiries were conducted by the Army and appropriate action has been initiated in the respective cases.
Two cases of honey-trapping have come to light in the recent years. In the first case, a Lt Col-rank officer from the Parachute Regiment was honey-trapped by a woman while he was doing a course in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
While in the other case, a Major-rank officer posted in Sriganganagar (Rajasthan) was found to be compromised online as he was in touch with the same lady over social networking websites.
The Army had ordered separate Court of Inquiries in both the cases and taken measures to check such incidents.
Replying to another query, Antony said a Brigadier and a civilian officer working with the Canteen Stores Department (CSD) were arrested by the CBI for illegal gratification.
"Two officers of the CSD including Bikash Ranjan Dashchaudhary and Brig Anuj Kainthala were arrested by the CBI, Anti-Corruption Bureau for accepting illegal gratification," the Defence Minister said.
On the suicide of a jawan in Samba, Antony said an inquiry has been ordered by the Army to look into the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'