2 Army officers want ban on Rahul Dholakia`s film "Lamhaa"
New Delhi: Two serving officers of the Army
today approached the Delhi High Court seeking a ban on
screening of Rahul Dholakia-directed film `Lamhaa` alleging it
has depicted the force in a poor light.
Colonel Rajiv Mehrotra and Captain Rahul Soni filed a PIL
before a Division Bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and
Justice Manmohan also seeking an order restraining TV channel
`Colors` from telecasting the film on August 29.
The Bench, after watching the film CD in the chamber,
declined to pass a stay order against the channel but asked
the petitioners to approach the Censor Board by tomorrow and
file a representation raising the issue.
The Sanjay Dutt and Bipasha Basu-starrer movie was
released in the theatres in July this year.
The Court has issued a notice to the Ministry of
Information and Broadcasting, Censor Board and the film
producer and sought their reply within two weeks.
Appearing for the petitioners, counsel Jyoti Singh
submitted that the "objectionable" scenes and dialogues in the
movie were eliciting sharp reaction from jawans who were
Seeking a ban on the screening of the movie in threatres
and also the TV channel, the officers contended the movie has
focused on Jammu and Kashmir crises and the demand for a
separate state, depicting army officers in a poor light.
"The Army officers were shown in nexus with terrorist
organisations, Pakistani businessmen and ISI links. There are
scenes and conversations where deals are being struck with
army officers in consideration for opening of borders for a
few hours so as to permit safe ingress of the terrorists into
the country," the officers alleged.
".....If the movie is telecast, a much greater damage
will occur to the image of the Indian Army whose soldiers are
day and night aspiring to protect the citizens of this
country," as per the petitioners.
The Court fixed September 22 as the next date for hearing
of the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...