2 Ministers, a US Congmen recommended Chatwal for Padma
New Delhi: Two Union Ministers and a
prominent US Congressman recommended the name of controversial
NRI hotelier Sant Singh Chatwal for the prestigious Padma
awards, the Government told the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
The four recommendations came from Civil Aviation
Minister Praful Patel, Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs
Vayalar Ravi, member of US Congress Joseph Crowley and Dalis
Adler, Staff Associate, Sub-Committee on the Middle East and
South Asia under the House Committee on Foreign Affairs.
Minister of State for Home Mullappally Ramachandran told
the House in reply to a query that as per guidelines
regulating Padma award, nominations for it are open to all.
Besides inviting nominations from institutional sources
like state and UT governments, central ministries,
departments, institutes of excellence and Bharat Ratna and
Padma Vibhushan awardees, a large number of recommendations
are also received from various other sources like Governors,
Chief Ministers, Cabinet Ministers, MPs, private institutions,
bodies and individuals, he said.
All nominations and recommendations received are placed
before the Padma Awards committee for its consideration. The
committee scrutinises them and makes its recommendations to
the competent authority for approval, Ramachandran said.
The selection of Chatwal for the Padma award had sparked
a controversy following allegations that he was involved in
financial irregularities, a charge denied by him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof