20 IIITs to come up on public-pvt partnership mode
New Delhi: The HRD Ministry has prepared a public-private-partnership model for setting up 20 IIITs under which the expenditure could be shared in the ratio of 85 to 15 between the government and industry.
According to a note prepared by the Ministry for these projects, each Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) would be set up at an investment of Rs 200 crore and the government would bear 85 percent of the expenditure.
Of the 85 percent spending, the Centre would provide for 50 percent and the state government would bear 35 percent of the expenditure. It means the Centre will provide Rs 100 crore while the state government will give Rs 70 crore and the industry will provide Rs 30 crore for setting up of each IIIT.
"The ministry has prepared 50-35-15 funds sharing pattern between the Centre, state and industry. The Planning Commission has given in-principle approval for it. Now the Expenditure Finance Committee (EFC) will consider it," a ministry official said.
The Ministry has overruled a proposal of Nasscom which
had prepared a Detailed Project Report suggesting that the
private sector should bear more than 50 percent of the cost.
The Planning Commission had objected to the proposal of
Nasscom. Now if the EFC approves the government`s proposal, it
would be moved to Cabinet for final approval.
As per the plan, each IIIT would be a centre of
excellence and specialise in specific area. These institutes
would concentrate more on basic than applied research.
The ministry would bring in a bill in Parliament to
confer them with the status of institutes of national
importance. They can offer degree and Ph D programmes once
they become institutes of national importance.
Some of the IIITs would be set up in northeastern states.
If the industry does not come forward, the DONER (Ministry for
Development of North-Eastern Region) would provide additional
funds, the official said.
The buildings and campuses of these institutes would be
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP