20 Indian soldiers missing from border areas: RTI
New Delhi: Twenty Indian soldiers posted in border areas of the country, most of them in Jammu and Kashmir, have gone missing from 1996 to 2010, according to an RTI reply.
As per the reply given by the Ministry of External Affairs, 18 soldiers went missing from Jammu and Kashmir while two disappeared from Gujarat.
Havaldar Bhupendra Bahadur Thapa, Netra Bahadur Thapa, Naik Hark Bahadur Rana and Lance Naik Raju Gurang of Gorkha Rifles went missing from Krishna Ghati of Poonch district in Jammu and Kashmir on August 12, 1996, the reply stated.
Bhupendra, Netra and Hark were residents of Nepal, while Raju hailed from Dehradun.
Similarly, Captain Avinash Kumar Sharma of 11 Engineer Regiment went missing from the Akhnoor sector of Jammu and Kashmir on August 16, 1996, it said.
Captain Sanjiv Bhattacharjee and Lance Naik Ram Bahadur Thapa of Gorkha Rifles disappeared from the Rann of Kutch in Gujarat on April 27, 1997, the ministry said.
GNR Virendra Singh of 286 Medium Regiment went missing from the Kaksar Sector of Jammu and Kashmir on October 17, 1998.
Gopal Das of 8 Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry went missing from Poonch Sector of Jammu and Kashmir on August 20, 2000.
Lance Naik Jose James of 5131 ASC BN went missing from Kargil on June 15, 2003, the reply stated.
Krishna Kumar of 6 Engineer Regiment went missing from the Uri Sector in Jammu and Kashmir on August 8, 2003.
Mahesh and Sailesh Kumar Shukla of 539 ASC BN disappeared from Jammu and Kashmir on July 8, 2005.
Naik Sandeep Singh of 234 AER Unit is also missing from Jammu and Kashmir since April 26, 2006.
Vikram Singh and Bishnu Rai of 17 Mahar Regiment went missing from Batalik on August 5, 2006.
According to the reply, Havaldar Ranjit Kumar and Rakesh Kumar of 15 Bihar Regiment went missing from Siachin on August 6, 2010.
On the same day, riflemen Sewang Dorjai and Karma Namagil of Ladhak Scouts Regiment Centre had gone missing from Leh.
The RTI reply did not mention anything about the reasons behind the disappearance of the soldiers or their present condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins