20% Indians out of Libya; evacuation time extended
New Delhi: Almost 20 per cent of an estimated
18,000 Indians in Libya have been evacuated even as the
government received landing clearance for 3 special flights
daily from India to Tripoli up to March 12, extending the
March 7 time period.
"Arrangements have since been finalized with Libya to
receive three special flights daily from India at Tripoli over
the next ten days. In addition, we are exploring possibilities
of establishing air bridges with Sirte and Sebha in Libya. This should appreciably speed up the process of evacuating our
nationals from Libya," the Ministry of External Affairs said
here on Tuesday.
It said the ship Scotia Prince, which had docked at
Benghazi yesterday, is setting sail for Alexandria, Egypt,
around noon (local time), with an estimated 1,188 Indian
nationals on board.
21 more Indian nationals crossed over to Salloum (Egypt)
yesterday by road and have been moved to Cairo and they will
leave for Mumbai by Gulf Air, along with 85 other Indian
nationals who had in the same way reached Cairo, it said.
"Almost twenty per cent of our 18,000 people have been
evacuated out of Libya," Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao
"Have recd (received) clearance for 3 - three- of our
flights per day to Tripoli frm tomorrow till 12th March," she
said on Twitter yesterday.
Reacting to the criticism that India was not as swift as
China in evacuating its citizens, Rao said "we are not in
competition with China here. We`re focused on the task of
bringing back our people safe and sound. Pl (please) let`s not
She also said "we have evacuated over 3,000 out of
Libya by now. Some have returned home, others on their way."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!