20-yr-old Indian-American shot dead in US
Washington: A 20-year-old Indian-American has been shot dead in Fremont, California, sending shock waves in the community.
Rahul Sharma, who migrated to the US from Jalandhar along with his parents some seven year ago, was shot in the head while standing in a driveway of his apartment complex in Fremont, California on April 5, police said.
He was pronounced dead at Regional Medical Center of San Jose. The reason for his killing is not clear yet.
The Fremont Police this week released the sketch of a suspect, who has been described as a black male in his 20s, wearing a white t-shirt and earrings in both ears.
Rahul was working toward his GED at the Fremont school district`s Adult and Continuing Education programme.
"My son was a good boy who wanted to go to school and do good things," said his mother, Davinder Sharma, in an emailed statement from the family to the Jan Jose Mercury News.
His services were held yesterday.
Rahul was living with his parents Pran Sharma, mother Davinder Sharma, two sisters Mehak (18) and Deepti (22) and a one-year-old brother.
In a statement, the North American Punjabi Association condemned the murder and demanded a high-level inquiry into it.
Association president Satnam Singh Chahal said that racial discrimination towards the Punjabi community exists throughout the US and people from community were facing racial discrimination and such attacks there every day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information