20-yr-old Indian-American shot dead in US
Washington: A 20-year-old Indian-American has been shot dead in Fremont, California, sending shock waves in the community.
Rahul Sharma, who migrated to the US from Jalandhar along with his parents some seven year ago, was shot in the head while standing in a driveway of his apartment complex in Fremont, California on April 5, police said.
He was pronounced dead at Regional Medical Center of San Jose. The reason for his killing is not clear yet.
The Fremont Police this week released the sketch of a suspect, who has been described as a black male in his 20s, wearing a white t-shirt and earrings in both ears.
Rahul was working toward his GED at the Fremont school district`s Adult and Continuing Education programme.
"My son was a good boy who wanted to go to school and do good things," said his mother, Davinder Sharma, in an emailed statement from the family to the Jan Jose Mercury News.
His services were held yesterday.
Rahul was living with his parents Pran Sharma, mother Davinder Sharma, two sisters Mehak (18) and Deepti (22) and a one-year-old brother.
In a statement, the North American Punjabi Association condemned the murder and demanded a high-level inquiry into it.
Association president Satnam Singh Chahal said that racial discrimination towards the Punjabi community exists throughout the US and people from community were facing racial discrimination and such attacks there every day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America