200 unapproved institutions, 21 fake universities identified
New Delhi: Over 200 institutions,
including the Indian School of Business and ICFAI Business
School, have been identified as unapproved institutions which
are running courses in violation of regulations of All India
Council of Technical Education (AICTE).
A total of 201 unapproved institutions offering
technical and management courses have been identified by
AICTE, a statutory body to standardise and regulate technical
education, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal said in a written reply in
the Lok Sabha today.
A maximum of 74 such institutions have been identified
in Maharashtra followed by 24 in Delhi, 22 in Karnataka, 19 in
Tamil Nadu and 13 each in Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal, he
These institutions are running in violation of the
AICTE regulations which say that no technical institution
shall be started and no new courses or programmes shall be
introduced without obtaining prior approval of the council,
Besides, University Grants Commission has identified
21 fake universities running in violation of provisions of the
UGC Act, he said.
A number of leading institutions like ISB Hyderabad
and ICFAI Business School, New Delhi, Gurgaon and Chandigarh,
IIPM, New Delhi, K R Mangalam Global Institute of Management,
New Delhi, J K Business School Gurgaon, M B Birla Institute of
Management Bharitya Vidya Bhavan, Bangalore and Sikkim Manipal
University, Bangalore, figure in the list of unapproved
institutions identified by AICTE, Sibal said.
The 21 fake universities include eight in Uttar
Pradesh and seven in Delhi, he said.
UGC and AICTE give wide publicity to caution students
and parents not to take admission in fake and unapproved
institutions, Sibal said.
"Statutory bodies have also been advised to launch
effective campaign against such institutions which are fake
and to take appropriate action under law and the media has
also been requested to refuse to publish misleading
advertisements by such institutions," he said.
The government will bring a legislative proposal to
restrict unfair practices in educational institutions. The
proposal provides for punishing unrecognised institutions
which claim to be recognised by statutory authorities and
induce students to take admission, Sibal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India