200 unapproved institutions, 21 fake universities identified
New Delhi: Over 200 institutions,
including the Indian School of Business and ICFAI Business
School, have been identified as unapproved institutions which
are running courses in violation of regulations of All India
Council of Technical Education (AICTE).
A total of 201 unapproved institutions offering
technical and management courses have been identified by
AICTE, a statutory body to standardise and regulate technical
education, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal said in a written reply in
the Lok Sabha today.
A maximum of 74 such institutions have been identified
in Maharashtra followed by 24 in Delhi, 22 in Karnataka, 19 in
Tamil Nadu and 13 each in Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal, he
These institutions are running in violation of the
AICTE regulations which say that no technical institution
shall be started and no new courses or programmes shall be
introduced without obtaining prior approval of the council,
Besides, University Grants Commission has identified
21 fake universities running in violation of provisions of the
UGC Act, he said.
A number of leading institutions like ISB Hyderabad
and ICFAI Business School, New Delhi, Gurgaon and Chandigarh,
IIPM, New Delhi, K R Mangalam Global Institute of Management,
New Delhi, J K Business School Gurgaon, M B Birla Institute of
Management Bharitya Vidya Bhavan, Bangalore and Sikkim Manipal
University, Bangalore, figure in the list of unapproved
institutions identified by AICTE, Sibal said.
The 21 fake universities include eight in Uttar
Pradesh and seven in Delhi, he said.
UGC and AICTE give wide publicity to caution students
and parents not to take admission in fake and unapproved
institutions, Sibal said.
"Statutory bodies have also been advised to launch
effective campaign against such institutions which are fake
and to take appropriate action under law and the media has
also been requested to refuse to publish misleading
advertisements by such institutions," he said.
The government will bring a legislative proposal to
restrict unfair practices in educational institutions. The
proposal provides for punishing unrecognised institutions
which claim to be recognised by statutory authorities and
induce students to take admission, Sibal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read