2005 blasts: Two associates of LeT militant jailed for 5 yrs
New Delhi: Two associates of a suspected LeT militant were today sentenced to five years imprisonment in connection with a case of pumping money for triggering serial blasts here on Diwali eve in 2005.
Gulam Ahmed Khan and Farooque Ahmed Batloo, both residents of Kashmir, pleaded guilty on the charge of transferring money to suspected LeT operatives who had carried out the blasts which claimed 67 lives.
Additional Sessions Judge Daya Prakash held the duo guilty for offences under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
However, their third accomplice Tariq Ahmed Dar, a suspected LeT militant, refused to plead guilty and preferred to face trial in the case lodged after the blasts at three places - Sarojini Nagar, Paharganj and Kalkaji - on October 29, 2005.
Over 225 were also injured in the blasts.
Both Khan and Batloo were convicted for the offences under provisions of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act after they had moved applications for pleading guilty at the stage of recording of their statements in the case.
"Accused Farooque Ahmed Batloo and Gulam Ahmed Khan are convicted for the offences punishable under section 17 and 18 of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act," the court said.
Three separate cases were registered by Delhi Police`s Special Cell after the blasts.
According to police, Dar with Abu Ozefa, Abu Al Kama, Rashid, Sazid Ali and Zahid had allegedly entered into a criminal conspiracy to wage a war against the country and had planned serial blasts.
Ozefa, Abu Al Kama, Rashid, Sajid Ali and Zahid are still at large and are alleged to be in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
Prosecution had said that Dar had allegedly hatched a conspiracy with LeT operatives to plan and carry out the blasts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?