2007 serial blasts accused dies on way to jail
Lucknow: Khalid Mujahid, an accused in serial blasts that had rocked Lucknow and Faizabad courts in November 2007, on Saturday died in Barabanki while being escorted to Lucknow jail after a hearing.
Mujahid was being brought back to Lucknow jail after hearing in a Faizabad court this afternoon, Additional Director General of Police (law and order) Arun Kumar said.
The accused fell sick and fainted near Barabanki border and was rushed to district hospital where doctors declared him dead this evening, he said.
He was also an accused in 2007 Gorakhpur blasts.
Meanwhile, UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav ordered a probe into the death, an official spokesman said here.
The inquiry would be conducted by a committee of a Secretary (Home) and an ADG or DIG level officer.
On April 26, the Uttar Pradesh government had filed a plea to withdraw cases against Khalid Mujahid and another accused Tariq Qasmi in 2007 serial blasts in Lucknow, Faizabad and Gorakhpur.
However, on May 10, a special court in Barabanki rejected the UP government`s plea. They were arrested on December 20, 2007 with arms and explosives.
The UP government had requested the court that it wanted to withdraw the case in "public interest and for the sake of communal harmony", but did not defined both the words.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September
- Nita Ambani launch multi-discipline sports initiative; laud PM Modi for Olympics task force idea
- ISRO successfully tests scramjet rocket engine
- Rafael Nadal hoping to continue Rio Olympics momentum at US Open
- Guess who? This A-list Bollywood actress can give up career to marry the man she loves