2007 serial blasts accused dies on way to jail
Lucknow: Khalid Mujahid, an accused in serial blasts that had rocked Lucknow and Faizabad courts in November 2007, on Saturday died in Barabanki while being escorted to Lucknow jail after a hearing.
Mujahid was being brought back to Lucknow jail after hearing in a Faizabad court this afternoon, Additional Director General of Police (law and order) Arun Kumar said.
The accused fell sick and fainted near Barabanki border and was rushed to district hospital where doctors declared him dead this evening, he said.
He was also an accused in 2007 Gorakhpur blasts.
Meanwhile, UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav ordered a probe into the death, an official spokesman said here.
The inquiry would be conducted by a committee of a Secretary (Home) and an ADG or DIG level officer.
On April 26, the Uttar Pradesh government had filed a plea to withdraw cases against Khalid Mujahid and another accused Tariq Qasmi in 2007 serial blasts in Lucknow, Faizabad and Gorakhpur.
However, on May 10, a special court in Barabanki rejected the UP government`s plea. They were arrested on December 20, 2007 with arms and explosives.
The UP government had requested the court that it wanted to withdraw the case in "public interest and for the sake of communal harmony", but did not defined both the words.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack