2008 cash-for-vote scam: Accused says police hesitant to name real beneficiary
New Delhi: BJP activist Sohail Hindustani, an accused in the 2008 cash-for-vote scam, on Friday claimed before a Delhi court that police were hesitant to name the real beneficiaries in the case and that he was picked up at the behest of a "third party".
"Police are hesitant in mentioning who is the real beneficiary. The ruling party and the MPs who cross-voted are the real beneficiaries. I was picked up as an accused at the behest of a third party even as the ruling party is the real beneficiary," Hindustani`s counsel Anurag Dubey told Special Judge Narottam Kaushal.
The counsel also said he was approached by the news channel for the sting to expose corruption and that there was no motive to pocket illegal gratification.
"The MPs who cross-voted during the trust vote were the real beneficiaries but till date police have not been able to trace the source of money, despite the directions of the Supreme Court and this court," the counsel said while advancing argument on charge.
He also said that even from the statement of witnesses recorded by the probe agency, no case is made out against him.
The court was hearing the arguments on framing of charges in the cash for vote scam of 2008 to bribe the MPs ahead of the trust vote in which former Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh, Sudheendra Kulkarni, BJP leader LK Advani`s former aide, BJP MPs Ashok Argal and Faggan Singh Kulaste and former MP Mahabir Singh Bhagora Sanjeev Saxena, Amar Singh`s former aide are also accused.
Kulaste and Bhagora have already completed their arguments on framing of charges.
All the accused have been booked under various provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act and for criminal conspiracy under the Indian Penal Code.
The case was registered in 2009 on recommendation by a Parliamentary panel which had probed the scam.
The first charge sheet in the matter was filed in August 2011 in which all but Argal were named as accused.
Police had accused Amar Singh and Kulkarni of "conspiring" and "masterminding" the scam to bribe some MPs ahead of the July 22, 2008 confidence vote in Lok Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday