2008 Delhi serial blasts: Court dismisses bail plea of Yasin Bhatkal, aide
New Delhi: Indian Mujahideen (IM) co-founder Yasin Bhatkal and his aide Asadullah Akhtar were on Thursday denied bail by a court here in connection with a September 2008 Delhi serial blasts case.
Additional Sessions Judge Daya Prakash dismissed the bail plea of both the accused while allowing the application of special cell of Delhi Police seeking 15 days time to complete their probe against them in the case relating to a blast at M block market in Greater Kailash-I here on September 13, 2008.
The court also issued production warrants for presence of both the accused, who are presently in Mumbai under custody of Maharashtra ATS, before it on April 3.
The special cell, in its plea seeking 15 days more time to conclude their probe, said that an important input has been received through the central intelligence agencies regarding detention of one more suspect, who was also involved in the case, in a west Asian country.
"Necessary coordination is being established with central intelligence agencies to confirm the identity of this suspect so that necessary legal information for his extradition/ deportation can be taken up expeditiously," police said.
They also informed the court that during investigation, Akhtar has revealed vital information about Ariz Khan, one of the wanted accused in the case, and an operation was going on to apprehend him.
During the hearing, advocate MS Khan, appearing for both the accused, moved an application seeking bail.
"A question arises for consideration that whether period of investigation can be extended from 90 days to any period not exceeding 180 days under section 43-D of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act in the absence of accused," Khan said.
Bhatkal and Akhtar did not appear before the court today as they are under the custody of Maharashtra ATS in connection with the cases lodged against them there.
13 suspected members of IM are facing trial in the cases of September 2008 Delhi serial blasts that had claimed 26 lives and left 135 people injured.
Bhatkal and Akhtar were arrested by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) from Indo-Nepal border on the night of August 28 last year.
Delhi Police had arrested them in connection with the case of bomb blast at Greater Kailash-I in which nine persons were injured on September 13, 2008.
Five cases were lodged in connection with the blasts at Gaffar Market in Karol Bagh, Barakhamba Road in Connaught Place, M-Block Market in Greater Kailash and recovery of a bomb near India Gate.
All the five cases were clubbed by the trial court for the purpose of framing of charges and trial, saying "they arise from the series of same transaction".
The 13 accused facing trial in the case are Mohd Shakeel, Mohd Saif, Zeeshan Ahmed, Zia-ur-Rehaman, Saquib Nisar, Mohd Sadique, Kayamuddin Kapadia, Mohd Hakim, Mohd Mansoor Ashgar Peerbhoy, Mubin Kadar Sheikh, Asif Bashiruddin, Mohd Akbar Ismail Chaudhary and Shahzad Ahmed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok