2009 Ranbir encounter case: 17 policemen found guilty of murder
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: A CBI court in Delhi, Friday, found 17 Uttarakhand policemen guilty of murdering MBA student Ranbir Singh in a fake encounter in Dehradun in July 2009.
The CBI had filed chargesheet against 18 policemen for various offences such as murder, kidnapping, criminal conspiracy, destruction of evidence. While 17 of them, including two inspectors and four sub-inspectors, have been booked for murder, one was found guilty of destroying evidence.
The court will pronounce quantum of sentence on June 9 (Monday).
The case was first probed by Uttarakhand CB-CID. It was transferred to Delhi by the Supreme Court on the plea of Ranbir`s father Ravindra Singh.
22-year-old Singh, an MBA student from Ghaziabad, was allegedly gunned down by Uttarakhand police after being caught at Mohini Road where he and his companions were allegedly trying to commit some crime on July 3, 2009.
Singh`s father Ravindra Singh had alleged that his son had gone to Dehradun in search of a job where he was arrested by the police on July 3 on the pretext of being involved in some robbery.
He had alleged that on the same day, 29 bullets were pumped into his body and the incident was camouflaged as an encounter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly