2011-12 to be celebrated as Civil Aviation Centenary Year
New Delhi: On February 18, 1911, the first
commercial flight was operated in India -- between Allahabad
To commemorate it, the year 2011-2012 will be celebrated
as Civil Aviation Centenary Year.
"Indian Civil Aviation is completing 100 years on 18th
February, 2011. The centenary year would start from February
18 this year and end on the same date in 2012," a Civil
Aviation Ministry spokesperson said in a statement on Tuesday.
During the celebrations, activities like air shows,
release of stamp by the President, issue of commemorative
coins, coffee table book, establishment of an Aviation
University, road shows and exhibitions in state capitals and
smaller exhibitions at all airports are expected to be held.
"To commemorate the occasion, Ministry of Civil Aviation
has constituted a high-level committee chaired by Civil
Aviation Minister Praful Patel to deliberate on the scale and
the modalities of the celebrations," she said.
The committee would deliberate on the period of
celebrations, formulate action plan for the entire year and
decide events to be undertaken.
It will also decide the locations where different events
will take place, co-opt members to broaden the membership
base, locate appropriate budgetary sources to finance the
celebrations apart from assigning responsibilities to
individuals and institutions for the organisation of events
and constitute organising committees for their conduct.
The committee would also have former Civil Aviation
Ministers Ghulam Nabi Azad, Sharad Yadav, Rajiv Pratap Rudy,
Shahnawaz Hussain and Anant Kumar as members.
It would also consist of Indians who have contributed to
civil aviation -- like Rakesh Sharma, first Indian astronaut
Vijaypath Singhania, Air Marshal Arjan Singh, the first lady
pilot in the commander`s seat in India Saudamini Deshmukh, MP
and Chairman of Aeroclub of India Capt Satish Sharma, Capt G
Gopinath and MPs Deepender Hooda and Naveen Jindal.
Secretaries of Ministries of Civil Aviation, Defence and
Tourism, Chairpersons of all Indian airlines, Chairpersons of
all Indian airports, CMD of Pawan Hans, Chairman of ISRO,
eminent pilots, representatives of HAL, BCAS, DGCA would also
be part of the committee, the statement said.
"It is planned that the private sector, being major
stakeholders in Indian civil aviation, will be adopted in the
celebrations as major partners," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy