2132 caught for illegal fishing in Indian seas
New Delhi: A total of 375 foreign fishing
boats and 2,132 men were apprehended by coast guards for
illegal fishing in the Indian seas from 2008 to 2011, the
Parliament was informed on Tuesday.
291 boats and 1,506 fishermen from Sri Lanka were nabbed
for illegal fishing in Indian seas during the period, Minister
of State for Agriculture Charan Das Mahant said in a written
reply in Lok Sabha.
The Minister said 279 Lankan boats and 1,392 fishermen
were released during the period.
Maximum detentions were in 2009 when 125 Lankan boats
and 661 Lankan fishermen were apprehended on this charge,
Giving details of Indian boats and fishermen apprehended
by Sri Lanka, Mahant said 104 boats and 538 fishermen were
nabbed there during the period.
He said that nine Indian fishermen were killed during
2008-11 as reported by the Indian Coast Guard.
There is a 400-km maritime border between India and Sri
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- 21 patients die on single day in Hyderabad govt hospital, staff blame power outage
- New Zealand's Queenstown Airport evacuated after 'bomb message' found on plane
- SHOCKING! Star wrestler Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio participation doubtful
- What Diljit Dosanjh said about 'Phillauri' co-star Anushka Sharma will melt your heart! - Read here
- DDA's next housing scheme could be completely online