216 more Indians return from Libya
New Delhi: Another batch of 216 Indians returned from Libya via Djerba on Tuesday, taking the total number of Indians evacuated from the strife-torn country to 2,750.
Another batch of 216 Indians back home today from Libya via Djerba and total number is 2,750 thus far, the Spokesperson in the External Affairs Ministry said, adding that the process of getting Indians out was continuing.
Out of 2,750 Indians, private companies facilitated departure of 450 Indian workers employed with them.
Apart from taking a slew of measures to facilitate the departure of Indians in Libya, which is witnessing stepped up violence, the Ministry has issued a number of advisories asking Indians to leave the conflict-hit country and not to travel there.
Prior to the uprising in Libya, the number of Indians there was estimated to be more than 18,000.
The Indian professionals were mainly employed in hospitals and other teaching institutions whereas a major part of manpower was engaged in construction projects. During the course of the revolution, most of them were evacuated to India in February-March 2011.
Few hundred Indians continued to serve in Libya even during the revolution period. Gradually, more Indians have returned to Libya and there were about 4,500 registered Indians before the outbreak of fresh violence there. An estimated unregistered 1000 or more Indians are also expected to be there, according to officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing