227 coastal police stations to come up
New Delhi: In a bid to improve the coastal
security, the Government is planning to set up 227 Coastal
Police Stations in two phases in the nine states along the
over 7,500 km long shoreline of the country.
"There are a large number of them (Coastal Police
Stations) already and the Coast Guard was asked to interact
with the states and suggest more if they were required. In the
phase two of this, another 131 of these stations will come
up," Coast Guard Chief Vice Admiral Anil Chopra said.
In the first phase, the government has already sanctioned
setting up of 96 such stations.
The local police has been made responsible for patrolling
the shallow waters utilising the boats hired by the Union Home
Ministry, Chopra told reporters here today. Coastal security
is the one of the top priorities of the security agencies
after 26/11 attacks during which terrorists came to Mumbai via
"Each of these police stations will have a certain number
of boats and vehicles and the ability to patrol close to the
shore and the shallow waters, by using all terrain vehicles
and cars where roads are available," Chopra said.
He said there was a proposal to build roads along the
entire coastline so that the local police and sea-guarding
agencies can "quickly go up and down and patrol the area."
Chopra said a national committee has been set up under
the Chairmanship of the Cabinet Secretary to look into the
setting up of these stations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks