227 coastal police stations to come up
New Delhi: In a bid to improve the coastal
security, the Government is planning to set up 227 Coastal
Police Stations in two phases in the nine states along the
over 7,500 km long shoreline of the country.
"There are a large number of them (Coastal Police
Stations) already and the Coast Guard was asked to interact
with the states and suggest more if they were required. In the
phase two of this, another 131 of these stations will come
up," Coast Guard Chief Vice Admiral Anil Chopra said.
In the first phase, the government has already sanctioned
setting up of 96 such stations.
The local police has been made responsible for patrolling
the shallow waters utilising the boats hired by the Union Home
Ministry, Chopra told reporters here today. Coastal security
is the one of the top priorities of the security agencies
after 26/11 attacks during which terrorists came to Mumbai via
"Each of these police stations will have a certain number
of boats and vehicles and the ability to patrol close to the
shore and the shallow waters, by using all terrain vehicles
and cars where roads are available," Chopra said.
He said there was a proposal to build roads along the
entire coastline so that the local police and sea-guarding
agencies can "quickly go up and down and patrol the area."
Chopra said a national committee has been set up under
the Chairmanship of the Cabinet Secretary to look into the
setting up of these stations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you