23 farmers committed suicide in Jan-April, 2010: Agri Min
New Delhi: The Agriculture Ministry told
Parliament today that 23 farmers committed suicide in the
Vidarbha region between the start of the year and April 8,
"As per information made available by the government of
Maharashtra, 23 farmers have committed suicide in Vidarbha due
to agrarian reasons during the year 2010 from January 1 to
April 8," Minister of State for Agriculture K V Thomas told
the Rajya Sabha in a written reply.
The government has decided to extend implementation of
the non-credit components of the Rs 16,978.69 crore
rehabilitation package for 31 suicide-prone districts till
September, 2011, it said.
"It has been decided by the government to extend the
period for implementation of the non-credit components of the
package by 2 more years, i.e. September 30, 2011," the reply
- Not CM candidate, Rahul Gandhi to lead party across the country: Congress
- Delhi government seeks taxi unions' views over ban on diesel cab
- Real estate developers to land in trouble for taking consumers 'for a ride'
- Pakistan's ISI using mobile apps to lure Indian jawans, retired officials: Report
- IS may be making chemical weapons, warns watchdog