23,883 dowry deaths reported in 2006-08
New Delhi: A total of 23,883 dowry deaths
have been registered in different parts of the country during
2006-08, the Rajya Sabha was informed today.
Minister of State for Home Ajay Maken said in a written
reply that 7,618 dowry deaths were registered in 2006,
followed by 8,093 cases in 2007 and 8,172 in 2008.
He said the government accorded highest importance to
prevention of crime against women by enacting various
legislations that gave protection and legal remedies to women.
He held state governments responsible for prevention,
detection, registration and investigation of crimes, including
those against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday