23,883 dowry deaths reported in 2006-08
New Delhi: A total of 23,883 dowry deaths
have been registered in different parts of the country during
2006-08, the Rajya Sabha was informed today.
Minister of State for Home Ajay Maken said in a written
reply that 7,618 dowry deaths were registered in 2006,
followed by 8,093 cases in 2007 and 8,172 in 2008.
He said the government accorded highest importance to
prevention of crime against women by enacting various
legislations that gave protection and legal remedies to women.
He held state governments responsible for prevention,
detection, registration and investigation of crimes, including
those against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet