‘24 new Chinese projects on Brahmaputra’
New Delhi: Less than a week after Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao left India following a three-day visit, it has come to light that Beijing has taken up 24 new projects along the Brahmaputra river and its tributaries. The projects, detected by the intelligence agencies, are believed to be mostly hydro-power projects, a leading daily reported on Tuesday.
Last year, the National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO) had stated that the Chinese were building some half-a-dozen hydro-power projects along the Brahmaputra river on their side.
However, the latest discovery is likely to be seen in New Delhi as a provocation, coming close on the heels of Wen’s visit who indicated here that the vexed boundary dispute between India and China was expected to linger for long.
The development also came just days after China’s official Xinhua news agency described the operational border between the two countries as some 2,000 km long, compared to 3,600 kms identified by India. The Chinese assertion literally knocked off the 1,600 km-long border that China shares with the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir.
According to the daily, intelligence agencies believe the 24 new projects are relatively small compared to the Zangmu project, which is the biggest taken up by China on its side of the Brahmaputra.
Reports said the issue also came up for discussion yesterday at a meeting of the Committee of Secretaries looking into the diversion of Brahmaputra waters, under Cabinet Secretary K M Chandrasekhar. Officials at the meeting said there was a need to constantly monitor the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!