24x7 vigil needed in maritime domain, says Antony
Kochi: Pointing out that maritime security was central to the overall global presence of the country, Defence Minister A K Antony on Sunday stressed the need for a 24x7 vigil, coordination and pro-active approach from all agencies in the maritime domain.
Speaking after handing over three President`s Tatrakshak medals and 17 Tatrakshak medals for gallantry and meritorius services to coast guard personnel, Antony said the Indian Coast Guard has a `pivotal` role to play in building synergy and cohesion of efforts between all stakeholders responsible for ensuring the safety and security of Indian waters.
Coastal security exercises and operations that involve all maritime stakeholders are being conducted regularly. These along with search and rescue operations, pollution response, and other activities show that the coast guard was responding to multiple challenges in the maritime sphere with professionalism and dedication, he said.
Antony also lauded the efforts of the coast guard on the Kerala coast and said they have ensured the safety and security of the fishermen and merchant mariners in an effective manner.
The recent commissioning of surface platforms, air units and operational bases has added to the fleet strength of the force.
He urged officers and men of the coast guard to respond to the fast-paced growth with dedication, profesisonalism and commitment.
Flag Officer Commanding in Chief Southern Naval Command, Satish Soni and Director General Indian Coast Guard Vice Admiral Anurag Thapliyal were among those present.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!