25 Indian fishermen arrested in Sri Lanka
Colombo: Sri Lankan Navy on Tuesday arrested 25 Indian fishermen for allegedly poaching in the country`s waters, officials said.
Naval spokesman Kosala Warnakulasuriya said 25 fishermen have been arrested north of Jaffna`s Delft island during the wee hours of today. Their six trawlers were also seized.
The fishermen are to be handed over to the police at Kankesanturai harbour.
The arrests followed talks between Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar and Sri Lankan Minister of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Rajitha Senaratne in New Delhi last week on the thorny issue of fishermen.
Both countries decided to free all fishermen in their custody and release their vessels after the talks.
The arrests come ahead of a meeting scheduled for January 27 between a committee appointed to work out a joint mechanism.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!