`25,000 B`deshis do not return from India every year`
Dhaka: Every year, some 25,000 Bangladeshis
entering India with valid visas do not return home while many
more travel there illegally, raising security concerns for New
Delhi, the Indian envoy to Dhaka said on Monday.
"We know that around 25,000 Bangladeshis do not return
after entering India every year; those who enter unrecorded
are many more in number," Indian High Commissioner Pinak
Ranjan Chakravarty said.
He said New Delhi could not brush aside the issue of
illegal migrants because of security concerns in view of
increase in terrorist attacks in the region in recent times.
"We do have security concerns. We wish to know who is
going and who is coming back," he told a joint business
conference of FICCI and Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of
Commerce and Industry (FBCCI) here.
Indian High Commission in Dhaka and two other missions in
southeastern port city of Chittagong and northwestern Rajshahi
issue some four lakh visas every year, official sources said.
No comments from Bangladesh officials were available
immediately on the envoy`s remarks.
Names of Bangladesh-based terrorist outfits like
Harkat-ul-Jihad-al Islami (HuJI) have cropped up in several
terror attacks in India in recent months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing