252 Indian fishermen languishing in Pak jails
New Delhi: There are 252 Indian fishermen in
the jails of Pakistan, an issue which was raised by External
Affairs Minister SM Krishna during the meeting with his
Pakistani counterpart Hina Rabbani Khar here last week.
Pakistan has arrested 156 Indian fishermen in last seven
months and 100 in 2010, Minister of State for External Affairs
Preneet Kaur said in a written reply in Lok Sabha.
She said 454 Indian fishermen have been released by
Pakistan in 2010 and 103 in this year.
Indian High Commission in Islamabad, on a continuing
basis, takes up the matter with the government of Pakistan for
the release of all those Indian fishermen who have completed
their sentences, the Minister said.
It was raised and discussed during the recently concluded
Foreign Minister-level talks held here on July 27, 2011, she
Kaur also said that the Indian High Commission monitors
the status of Indian fishermen in Pakistani jails and requests
for consular access for these fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Uttarakhand sting CD controversy: CM Harish Rawat appears before CBI
- Corruption scandal throws Brazil`s interim government into disarray
- IMF calls for 'unconditional' debt relief for Greece
- Deepika Padukone is doing THIS in 'Raabta'!
- Respect Pakistan's ''sovereignty'' but won't stop removing terrorists: US