26 Indian fishermen return to India after release
Karaikal: Twenty-six Indian fishermen, who were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy on April 5 while fishing off Kodiakarai coast, returned here this morning after their release, fisheries department officials said.
The fishermen were lodged in a prison in the island nation after their arrest and their remand was extended four times by a court in that country.
On May 20, the Lankan court ordered their release. However, the fishermen had to stay back in Sri Lanka till May 22 due to rough seas. Subsequently, all of them were handed over to the Indian Coast Guard last night.
The boats of the fishermen were also returned to them, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Make your smoothie a successful summer diet with these magical ingredients!
- Delhi govt introduces 'Change-makers in education' fellowship
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'