26/11 attacks trial adjourned till Feb 22
Mumbai: The hearing on the 26/11 terror
case was on Saturday adjourned till Monday after the prosecution
sought permission to submit the evidence of 44 more formal
witnesses in the form of affidavits.
Lone surviving Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab`s lawyer KP Pawar opposed the submission of more witnesses arguing that
the prosecution should have submitted their evidence in the
initial stages and not after the court has recorded the
statements of the three accused.
Special judge ML Tahilyani said he would pass an
order on the prosecution`s application on Monday after
ascertaining whether the nature of the evidence is formal or
"The list of witnesses include inquest panch, carriers
of FSL reports and dead bodies from the terror site to the
hospitals," special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said.
In another development, one of the arrested accused
Faheem Ansari today sought bail from the court to search for a
lawyer as his advocate Shahid Azmi was shot dead by three
persons last week.
Faheem, in his bail plea, said no lawyer was ready
to take his case and thus, he wants to be released on bail so
that he could go out and appoint a lawyer for himself.
The court has directed the prosecution to file their
reply by Monday.
Shahid Azmi`s junior Saba Qureshi, who was present in
the court, said she is ready to defend Faheem if he allows her to.
The court is likely to start hearing the final
arguments of both the prosecution and defence in the first
week of March.
Kasab, Faheem and Sabauddin Ahmed are facing trial for
their alleged involvement in the November 26 terror attacks
that killed 166 persons and injured 304 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’