26/11 attacks trial adjourned till Feb 22
Mumbai: The hearing on the 26/11 terror
case was on Saturday adjourned till Monday after the prosecution
sought permission to submit the evidence of 44 more formal
witnesses in the form of affidavits.
Lone surviving Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab`s lawyer KP Pawar opposed the submission of more witnesses arguing that
the prosecution should have submitted their evidence in the
initial stages and not after the court has recorded the
statements of the three accused.
Special judge ML Tahilyani said he would pass an
order on the prosecution`s application on Monday after
ascertaining whether the nature of the evidence is formal or
"The list of witnesses include inquest panch, carriers
of FSL reports and dead bodies from the terror site to the
hospitals," special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said.
In another development, one of the arrested accused
Faheem Ansari today sought bail from the court to search for a
lawyer as his advocate Shahid Azmi was shot dead by three
persons last week.
Faheem, in his bail plea, said no lawyer was ready
to take his case and thus, he wants to be released on bail so
that he could go out and appoint a lawyer for himself.
The court has directed the prosecution to file their
reply by Monday.
Shahid Azmi`s junior Saba Qureshi, who was present in
the court, said she is ready to defend Faheem if he allows her to.
The court is likely to start hearing the final
arguments of both the prosecution and defence in the first
week of March.
Kasab, Faheem and Sabauddin Ahmed are facing trial for
their alleged involvement in the November 26 terror attacks
that killed 166 persons and injured 304 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?