26/11 case: Former ATS officer deposes in court
Mumbai: A former Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism
Squad (ATS) officer today deposed before a special court in
the July 11, 2006 serial train blasts case and explained how
one of the accused, Kamal Ansari, was arrested.
The witness told the court the investigating officers,
acting on specific information, arrested Ansari on July 19,
2006 from Basupati village in Bihar`s Madhubani district.
"After arresting Ansari, we took him to his house, where
police recovered a black coloured powder," he said.
According to him, the 36-year-old allegedly made calls to
several wanted accused in the case and operatives of
Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) after the train bombings
in which 187 people were killed and 800 others injured.
"The calls were intercepted which led to Ansari`s arrest.
Revelations made by Ansari enabled the ATS to arrest other
accused," the officer said.
Meanwhile, Ansari appealed to the court to shift him to
the Government-run J J Hospital for treatment as he is
suffering from malaria. The court, however, asked him to
undergo treatment at the medical centre of Arthur Road Jail,
where he is lodged.
The prosecution has till now examined 17 witnesses in the
case, in which 13 accused, all alleged LeT operatives, have
been arrested. The court has asked the media not to reveal the
identity of the witnesses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?