26/11 handler Abu Jundal sent to police custody till July 31
Mumbai: A Mumbai court Saturday sent Abu Jundal, a key suspect in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case, to police custody till July 31, said an official.
Jundal was flown to Mumbai early Saturday after a New Delhi court Friday handed over his custody to Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) for his alleged role in the Mumbai terror attack.
Amid tight security, he was taken from the airport to a secret location and later produced before a magistrate in south Mumbai Saturday.
Nearly four years after the brutal terror attack, Mumbai Police`s Crime Branch has got his custody in connection with four terror cases, including 26/11, Pune German Bakery blast of 2010, attack on Nashik police training academy and the 2006 Aurangabad arms case, the official said.
This was possible after New Delhi police informed a court there that they did not need him for custodial interrogation in the Jama Masjid terror attack case.
Mumbai police had pleaded before the Delhi court that Jundal`s custody was necessary as he had already been declared a proclaimed offender in the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case.
After his interrogation is completed in Mumbai, the Delhi court has ordered Jundal to be taken back to the national capital for handing him over to the National Investigation Agency (NIA) or other security agencies as may be required.
Mumbai police are confident that after Jundal`s interrogation further progress would be made in the ongoing investigations into all the terror cases in which he is involved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early