26/11: Headley visited N-power plant in India
Chicago: Pakistan American David Coleman Headley visited a nuclear power plant in India ahead of the November 2008 Mumbai terror attack, court documents revealed.
The self-confessed key plotter of 26/11 terror strike, who is appearing as a key witness in the trial of his one-time friend Tahawwur Rana, again testified on Wednesday that he was trained in espionage by the Pakistani spy agency, the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).
The prosecution`s star witness in the terror trial, Headley also admitted that while he was training with Pakistan based terror group Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT), he was still officially listed as an informant for the US Drug Enforcement Administration.
According to unsealed court documents released on Wednesday, Headley aka Daood Gilani, visited a nuclear power plant in India in April 2008 at the direction of his ISI handler in Pakistan, Major Iqbal, who also gave him Indian currency notes for his operation in India.
According to the 57 pages of documents, Headley returned to Mumbai in April 2008 and as instructed conducted surveillance of potential landing sites, and took boat rides around the Mumbai harbour, using the GPS and making videos.
"Headley also performed surveillance of the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) train station. Additionally, based on instructions from Major Iqbal, Headley visited a nuclear power plant in India to conduct surveillance.
"After completing these surveillance activities, Headley returned to Pakistan and met with Zaki, Sajid, Abu Qahafa, and another Lashkar member," it said.
The nuclear plant was not identified.
Abu Qahafa downloaded the contents of the device and used Google Earth to view images of the locations, it said adding that Headley recommended a landing point for the attackers near a small fisherman`s bay on the coast of Mumbai.
"As before, Headley also reported to Major Iqbal about what he had done, also providing to him copies of videos that he had made. Further, Headley related to Major Iqbal the discussions that he had with Lashkar regarding the planning and preparation for the attacks," the documents said.
In the summer of 2008, Headley travelled to Chicago and stayed with Pakistan born Canadian businessman Rana. Headley told Rana about about the surveillance in Mumbai, his boat trips, as well as the meetings with Sajid, one of his LeT handlers, and others regarding the attackers` planned ingress by sea and the recommended landing points.
Headley told Rana about LeT operation commander Zaki`s idea of having the attackers land in front of the Taj Mahal hotel.
He also told Rana about Major Iqbal`s request that Headley perform surveillance in Delhi and as cover open an office of First World Immigration service operated by Rana.
After visiting Chicago, Headley returned to Pakistan and met several times with Sajid and Abu Qahafa. Sajid instructed Headley to return to Mumbai again and returned the GPS device to Headley with a long list of targets.
Sajid told Headley that he could not get enough video footage of the Taj Mahal hotel. It was during this trip that Zaki again met with Headley to give him encouragement regarding the planned attack.
"Zaki told Headley that their work in Mumbai would heal the breasts of believers and give Muslims in India something to be happy about," the documents said
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered