26/11 Mumbai attacks trial: Pak panel granted visas to visit India
Islamabad: India on Wednesday issued seven-day visas for the Pakistani judicial commission that will visit the country on September 21 to cross-examine the Mumbai terror attack witnesses and to carry forward the much-delayed trial here.
"We have issued the visas today and the passports would be handed over today itself," a diplomatic source told PTI here.
Sources said the eight-member Commission had sought visas for 4-5 days but the High Commission has given them a seven day visa.
They added that visa has been given for Mumbai, Delhi, Agra and Amritsar.
The Commission members would be travelling to India through the Wagah border.
The commission was earlier scheduled to leave for India on September 11 but the visit was postponed due to the 10-day Ganesh festival.
The visit has been delayed thrice this month.
While India had given a date for early September, the team could not leave due to cancellation of PIA flight.
The next date fixed was September 7, which was again cancelled due to non-availability of flight.
Finally, a new date was fixed for September 11 but India said due to Ganesh Chaturthi festival, courts will be closed in Mumbai.
The visit to India to cross-examine witnesses is being undertaken to take forward the prosecution of the seven suspects, including Lashkar-e-Toiba commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi.
The witnesses are the magistrate who recorded LeT terrorist and lone surviving gunman Ajmal Kasab`s confessional statement, the chief investigating officer and two doctors who conducted the autopsy of the terrorists who carried out the Mumbai attacks in November 2008.
This would be the commission`s second visit to India.
A report submitted by the panel after its first visit in March 2012 was rejected by an anti-terrorism court as the commission`s members were not allowed to cross-examine witnesses.
The Mumbai attacks trial in Pakistan was also a subject of discussion during the recent talks held between External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid and his Pakistani counterpart Sartaj Aziz in Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'