26/11 terrorist Kasab was nervous before hanging
Pune: Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone Mumbai attacks terrorist who was captured alive in November 2008, was on Wednesday executed at Pune’s Yerwada jail.
Kasab’s mercy plea was rejected by the President on November 5 and he was informed about his hanging on November 12, government sources said. The Pakistani national was made to sign his death warrant before being moved to the Pune jail on November 19.
According to sources, Kasab had asked jail officials to communicate the same to his mother in Pakistan.
Today, before his execution, Kasab was reportedly nervous and quiet. He even read his prayers before being hanged, said sources.
According to official sources, a senior jail official had read out the death warrant to Kasab at his Arthur Road Jail cell and also informed him that his clemency petition had been rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee.
After reading out his death warrant, Kasab, who was part of the 10-member Lashkar group that carried out the dastardly attack on November 26, 2008, was asked to sign it which he did, the sources said.
Later, he was taken by the Yerwada Jail police and the local police was kept out of the loop to maintain secrecy of the operation.
Barring a couple of officers, the 200-strong contingent of ITBP, which has been guarding him since March 2009, had been kept out of loop about his transfer to Pune jail.
The sources said the ITBP jawans continued to guard the empty high-security cell, which had been housing 25-year-old Kasab.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL
- Drunk businessman molests air hostesses on Jet Airways Mumbai-Nagpur flight