260 revenue dept officers faced CBI probe for graft
New Delhi: As many as 267 Revenue department officers faced CBI raids and investigations in the last three years for their alleged involvement in corruption.
Of the total CBDT and CBEC officers, a highest of 123 were probed during 2009, forty-one in 2010, seventy in 2011 and 33 between January and July this year, an official data said.
Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) and Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) are mandated to check tax and service evasions by individuals and firms among others.
Agencies like Enforcement Directorate (ED), Income Tax (IT) department, Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) and Customs among others work under the Revenue department.
Besides, the department also carried out raids and investigations against 67 of its officers during the last three years, the data said.
In all the cases, corruption complaints were first examined by the Central Vigilance Commission and then sent to the CBI for carrying out further probe to check graft charges against its officers.
Sources said most of the officers facing graft charges were working at sensitive posts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate