260 revenue dept officers faced CBI probe for graft
New Delhi: As many as 267 Revenue department officers faced CBI raids and investigations in the last three years for their alleged involvement in corruption.
Of the total CBDT and CBEC officers, a highest of 123 were probed during 2009, forty-one in 2010, seventy in 2011 and 33 between January and July this year, an official data said.
Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) and Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) are mandated to check tax and service evasions by individuals and firms among others.
Agencies like Enforcement Directorate (ED), Income Tax (IT) department, Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) and Customs among others work under the Revenue department.
Besides, the department also carried out raids and investigations against 67 of its officers during the last three years, the data said.
In all the cases, corruption complaints were first examined by the Central Vigilance Commission and then sent to the CBI for carrying out further probe to check graft charges against its officers.
Sources said most of the officers facing graft charges were working at sensitive posts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed