262 BSF personnel committed suicide in last 8 years
New Delhi: A total of 262 BSF personnel have committed suicide in the last eight years with the maximum taking the extreme step due to domestic problems.
Union Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh told Rajya Sabha in a written reply today that these suicide cases took place between 2004 and 2012.
A study was done to ascertain the reasons behind the suicides but it covered only the period between 2007 and 2011.
"The study has concluded that of the 158 suicides during the period, the main causative factors were domestic/personal problems (75), psychiatric disorders (11), detection of HIV/AIDS (4), illness (3), love affairs (2), illicit relations of wife (2) and other unknown reasons (59) among others," he said.
The Minister said a committee of experts constituted by
the Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPRD) conducted
a detailed study into the reasons of suicides by the troopers
of this border guarding force.
"There were eight recommendations (to prevent suicide
cases) which include avoiding isolation, take part in various
activities, communicate with colleagues, family members and
friends, keep away from alcohol and drugs, regular exercise
and games, yoga, meditation and self-education about the cause
of stress and how to cope with them," he said.
In reply to another question, Minister of State for Home
M Ramachandran said 41 BSF personnel posted along the
Indo-Bangladesh border fell victim to snake bites in the last
three years and one personnel died due to this.
High ankle boots, jungle shoes and gum boots are provided
to troops which cover their feet, lower portion of legs and
knees, Ramachandran said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata