27-year-old woman BARC scientist commits suicide
Mumbai: A 27-year-old woman scientist
working with Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) allegedly
committed suicide at its quarters in high-security Anushakti
Nagar in eastern suburbs here, police said on Thursday.
Tital Pal, hailing from Kolkata, was found hanging with
dupatta to a window rod at her 14th floor house in Nilgiri
apartments late last night, police said.
The incident comes ten days after the alleged murder of
another scientist Mahadevan Iyer, a mechanical engineer
working in the BARC`s Reactor Group. His body was found in his
first floor apartment in the BARC quarters in south Mumbai on
February 22, sending shock waves in the institution.
According to police, Tital, working in Radio Chemistry
and Isotope group, yesterday returned home from work at 4.30
PM, two hours early from her regular duty.
"In the evening, her father phoned her but she did not
attend the call. Her father then phoned her neighbours, who
knocked at the door, but Tital did not respond to them as
well," Deputy Police Commissioner Dilip Sawant said.
"They subsequently opened the door and found her
hanging," he said, adding she was rushed to nearby hospital
where she was declared dead.
Tital had joined BARC three year ago and had told her
colleagues that she was about to get married.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened