2.8 mn sex workers in India, 36% children
New Delhi: There are about 2.8 million
prostitutes in India out of which 36 per cent are children,
the Rajya Sabha was informed on Monday.
The common factors for entry into prostitution have been
economic distress, growing consumerism, illiteracy, lack of
vocational skills, migration, ill-treatment by parents and
desertion by spouse, according to a study on girls and women
in prostitution conducted between 2002-2004 by the Ministry of
Women and Child Development.
The village panchayats have not been assigned any direct
role in prevention of trafficking, but under a special scheme
called `Ujjwala`, financial assistance is provided for
formation of community vigilance groups for its prevention,
Minister of State for Women and Child Development Krishna
Tirath said in replying to a written question.
She said as per the National Crime Records Bureau, the
number of persons convicted under the Immoral Traffic
(Prevention) Act in the year 2007-08 is 2,884.
Tirath said there was no proposal to create a special
police force to tackle the problem. However, nine integrated
anti-human trafficking units have been established in the
states of Bihar, Andhra Pradesh, Goa and West Bengal under the
joint project capacity building of law enforcement agencies of
the Ministry of Home Affairs and United Nation Office on Drugs
The Governments of Tamil Nadu and Bihar have set up 38
and 21 AHTUs respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them