2.8 mn sex workers in India, 36% children
New Delhi: There are about 2.8 million
prostitutes in India out of which 36 per cent are children,
the Rajya Sabha was informed on Monday.
The common factors for entry into prostitution have been
economic distress, growing consumerism, illiteracy, lack of
vocational skills, migration, ill-treatment by parents and
desertion by spouse, according to a study on girls and women
in prostitution conducted between 2002-2004 by the Ministry of
Women and Child Development.
The village panchayats have not been assigned any direct
role in prevention of trafficking, but under a special scheme
called `Ujjwala`, financial assistance is provided for
formation of community vigilance groups for its prevention,
Minister of State for Women and Child Development Krishna
Tirath said in replying to a written question.
She said as per the National Crime Records Bureau, the
number of persons convicted under the Immoral Traffic
(Prevention) Act in the year 2007-08 is 2,884.
Tirath said there was no proposal to create a special
police force to tackle the problem. However, nine integrated
anti-human trafficking units have been established in the
states of Bihar, Andhra Pradesh, Goa and West Bengal under the
joint project capacity building of law enforcement agencies of
the Ministry of Home Affairs and United Nation Office on Drugs
The Governments of Tamil Nadu and Bihar have set up 38
and 21 AHTUs respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list