29 cases of security breach at major airports since 2011: Govt
New Delhi: There have been 29 cases of security breach at major airports from 2011 till last month, though the number has been on the decline, Lok Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
This year till June, two cases of security lapses have been reported from the Delhi airport, Minister of State for Civil Aviation G M Siddeshwara said in reply to questions and added that these were brought to the notice of concerned agencies for appropriate action.
While 17 cases were reported in 2011 from six airports, seven of them at Chennai and six in Mumbai, the number declined to nine in 2012 with the maximum of four reported from Mumbai. In 2013, the number declined to only one case reported at Amritsar, he said.
In reply to another question, Siddeshwara said 13 cases have been reported over the last three years in which employees of Air India were found involved in gold and contraband smuggling. Disciplinary action has been initiated against them, he added.
On safety issues, the Minister said a total of 556 instances of flouting of safety norms by private aircraft and helicopter operators have come to the notice of DGCA from 2011 till last month.
The number of such cases were 38 in 2011, 227 in 2012, 167 in 2013 and 124 till June this year, he said, adding that enforcement actions like warning, suspension, cancellation and withdrawal of permits, licenses, authorisation and approvals have been initiated against the defaulting air operators.
Aviation regulator DGCA carried out 13 safety audits in 2011, 28 in 2012, 16 last year and 11 till June this year.
Severe actions were taken by DGCA against the defaulting air operators, including grounding of 14 aircraft, de-rostering from flying duties of 18 pilots and seven cabin crew members of several private air operators, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’