29 Mig-29K to join Navy within 2 years: Navy Chief
Visakhapatnam: Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral
Nirmal Verma on Saturday said that more Mig-29K class air fighter
air-craft and helicopters would be inducted into the Indian
Navy in the next two years.
Talking to media after commissioning of INS Shakti, a
fleet tanker, at the Naval Dockyard here today, he said 29
MIG-29K aircraft and sixteen helicopters would be acquired
within two years.
Earlier, 16 aircraft of this class, (12 fighter and 4
trainee aircraft) had been acquired.
The Navy Chief also said that aircraft carrier INS
Vikramaditya would be delivered to the Indian Navy as per the
schedule, and Italy was extending cooperation for another
aircraft carrier, being built by the Cochin shipyard.
To a question, he said the naval surveillance along the
coast had been strengthened in association with the Coast
Guard and Marine Police. Fishermen too were being roped in, he
Navy and Coast Guard were creating awareness among the
fishermen community for this purpose, he said.
Regarding rehabilitation package for those who had lost
lands for the alternative naval base at Rambilli Mandal in the
district, Verma said the Centre and the Navy had accepted the
rehabilitation package submitted by the district
administration and the state government, and Centre had
released the funds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur