29 Tamil Nadu fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
Rameswaram: Sri Lankan Naval personnel on Thursday arrested 29 fishermen from Mandapam and Rameswaram when they were fishing near Neduntheevu in the Palk Strait.
The Lankan navy arrested them for allegedly fishing in their territorial waters using banned fishing nets, officials said, adding, seven boats were also seized.
The fishermen have been taken to the Kangesanthurai police station, they said.
On February 10, a fisherman was injured and a boat damaged when Sri Lankan navalmen allegedly attacked some local fishermen who were fishing near Katchatheevu.
Early this month, 69 fishermen were arrested in separate incidents.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had expressed dismay over the continuing arrests and told the Centre that such repeated actions undermine all confidence and goodwill which the two countries are attempting to build.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Heatwave grips east, central and peninsular India; many dead in Assam, Arunachal Pradesh due to cyclone, hailstorm
- Anti-Donald Trump protests break out for second day in California
- UN council discusses move to enforce North Korea sanctions
- Norway helicopter crash: All 13 people on board dead, 11 bodies recovered
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video