29 Tamil Nadu fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
Rameswaram: Sri Lankan Naval personnel on Thursday arrested 29 fishermen from Mandapam and Rameswaram when they were fishing near Neduntheevu in the Palk Strait.
The Lankan navy arrested them for allegedly fishing in their territorial waters using banned fishing nets, officials said, adding, seven boats were also seized.
The fishermen have been taken to the Kangesanthurai police station, they said.
On February 10, a fisherman was injured and a boat damaged when Sri Lankan navalmen allegedly attacked some local fishermen who were fishing near Katchatheevu.
Early this month, 69 fishermen were arrested in separate incidents.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had expressed dismay over the continuing arrests and told the Centre that such repeated actions undermine all confidence and goodwill which the two countries are attempting to build.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred