29 Tamil Nadu fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
Rameswaram: Sri Lankan Naval personnel on Thursday arrested 29 fishermen from Mandapam and Rameswaram when they were fishing near Neduntheevu in the Palk Strait.
The Lankan navy arrested them for allegedly fishing in their territorial waters using banned fishing nets, officials said, adding, seven boats were also seized.
The fishermen have been taken to the Kangesanthurai police station, they said.
On February 10, a fisherman was injured and a boat damaged when Sri Lankan navalmen allegedly attacked some local fishermen who were fishing near Katchatheevu.
Early this month, 69 fishermen were arrested in separate incidents.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had expressed dismay over the continuing arrests and told the Centre that such repeated actions undermine all confidence and goodwill which the two countries are attempting to build.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections