298 convicted in fodder scam cases so far: CBI
New Delhi: In one of biggest scams of the
country -- the Rs 622 crore fodder scam -- the CBI has
successfully managed to get conviction in 36 of the 60 cases
filed by it in the last 13 years of probe.
In the latest judgement by Special CBI court in Ranchi,
out of a total of 59 accused 48 have been convicted with
sentence ranging from maximum six years to three years and
accompanying penalty ranging from Rs 35 lakhs to Rs 20,000.
The agency has taken up investigation of 64 fodder scam
cases on the orders of the Supreme Court and the Patna High
Court in March 1996.
"Till now, judgements have been delivered in 36 out of
the 60 charge sheeted cases, out of which 35 cases have ended
in conviction of the accused persons. In the 36 cases decided
so far, two hundred and ninety eight (298) individual accused
persons have been convicted and sentenced," CBI spokesperson
The official said in all these cases it had been
alleged that accused officials of the Animal Husbandry
Department (AHD) of the Government of Bihar in criminal
conspiracy with unscrupulous suppliers, bureaucrats,
politicians and political executives withdrew and
misappropriated amounts totalling to Rs 721.89 crore from
state exchequer of the then Bihar state, now Jharkhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video