2G: BJP demands probe in PC, meets CBI Dir
New Delhi: In an unusual move, CBI Director AP Singh on Friday had a meeting with a BJP delegation which demanded a probe into alleged role of the then Finance
Minister P Chidambaram in the 2G scam.
It is not a normal practice that the CBI Director meets members of political parties but today he gave time to the five-member delegation led by party MP Prakash Javdekar.
Javdekar, accompanied with fellow MPs Maya Singh, Shivakumar Udasi and BJP office bearers Bhupendra Yadav and Jagat Prasad Nadda, presented to him records received through RTI replies and other evidences which allegedly indicate that
Chidambaram had sanctioned the policy for sale of spectrum.
The delegation also demanded that the CBI should quantify the entire loss caused through the telecom spectrum allocation scam which CAG has put to be at around Rs 1.76 lakh
"A Raja, the then Telcommunications Minister, is in jail and has been formally chargesheeted for conspiracy behind the loot and corruption of thousands of crore in the award of 2G licence and allocation of precious spectrum.
"However, it seems surprising that the CBI for reasons unknown has not investigated the role of P Chidambaram who was the then Finance Minister," the delegation said in its representation.
When asked whether they will approach the Supreme Court, Javdekar told reporters that they will see the action taken by the CBI on their representation and then take a call on future course of action.
The BJP said the Cabinet, in 2003, had decided that Finance Ministry and Telecom Ministry "would settle" pricing and allocation of spectrum and both the ministries are "equally responsible" for any decision taken.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Inexhaustible Rafael Nadal wins 200th Grand Slam match
- Half-century for world no. 1 Novak Djokovic at Roland Garros
- Congo citizen murder: Strict action needed, says Union Minister VK Singh
- Who stole the cookie? Let the canine siblings solve this mystery! - Watch video
- Galaxy of leaders to attend Mamata Banerjee's swearing-in; 18 new faces to become ministers