2G: BJP says JPC report a "cover-up", will raise it in Parliament
New Delhi: BJP on Friday dubbed the draft JPC report on 2G spectrum scam as a "cover-up" attempt to "save" Congress leaders, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, and vowed to raise it in Parliament next week.
The party refused to believe that the Prime Minister was not involved in the process of allocating the 2G spectrum in 2008 and accused Congress of using the JPC to "subvert" the truth.
It accused JPC chief PC Chacko, a Congress leader, of denying an opportunity of deposition to former Telecom Minister A Raja who is the main accused in the scam and had claimed the PM and then Finance Minister P Chidambaram were in the loop.
"This looks like a cover-up," BJP President Rajnath Singh told PTI while commenting on the draft report which has given a clean chit to the Prime Minister and the Finance Minister.
He pointed out that Raja has been requesting to depose before the JPC to give his version.
"He (Raja) is the main accused. It is surprising that despite his request he was not called. The country would like to know why a minister, who was even jailed in the case, was not called despite his request. This question will definitely be asked in Parliament," Singh said.
Speaking to reporters in Bangalore, Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said "history repeats itself once as a tragedy and again as a farce. This is the second time in history that Congress and UPA neck deep in corruption had subverted the truth using the JPC mechanism."
He said if the JPC finds that Manmohan Singh and Chidambaram were innocent, "all I can tell you is this JPC report will meet the same fate as the Bofors JPC. Its credibility will probably be worse than earlier JPCs".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!