2G: BJP says JPC report a "cover-up", will raise it in Parliament
New Delhi: BJP on Friday dubbed the draft JPC report on 2G spectrum scam as a "cover-up" attempt to "save" Congress leaders, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, and vowed to raise it in Parliament next week.
The party refused to believe that the Prime Minister was not involved in the process of allocating the 2G spectrum in 2008 and accused Congress of using the JPC to "subvert" the truth.
It accused JPC chief PC Chacko, a Congress leader, of denying an opportunity of deposition to former Telecom Minister A Raja who is the main accused in the scam and had claimed the PM and then Finance Minister P Chidambaram were in the loop.
"This looks like a cover-up," BJP President Rajnath Singh told PTI while commenting on the draft report which has given a clean chit to the Prime Minister and the Finance Minister.
He pointed out that Raja has been requesting to depose before the JPC to give his version.
"He (Raja) is the main accused. It is surprising that despite his request he was not called. The country would like to know why a minister, who was even jailed in the case, was not called despite his request. This question will definitely be asked in Parliament," Singh said.
Speaking to reporters in Bangalore, Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said "history repeats itself once as a tragedy and again as a farce. This is the second time in history that Congress and UPA neck deep in corruption had subverted the truth using the JPC mechanism."
He said if the JPC finds that Manmohan Singh and Chidambaram were innocent, "all I can tell you is this JPC report will meet the same fate as the Bofors JPC. Its credibility will probably be worse than earlier JPCs".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Piers Morgan pokes fun at India's performance in Rio: Here's how Virender Sehwag SHUT him down
- Raj Thackeray defies SC order, MNS ties Dahi-Handi at 49 feet in Thane
- Fashion for me is feeling glamorous, confident: Shraddha Kapoor
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM
- SHOCKING: DySP forces women trainees to mention their period dates, makes fun of pregnant cadet