2G: CAG denies he is ready for impeachment
New Delhi: Comptroller and Auditor General
(CAG) Vinod Rai on Wednesday described as "baseless" reports that he
was ready to face impeachment proceedings in Parliament over
the report on the 2G spectrum allocation issue.
"I find the report to be totally baseless," Rai said in a
communication to the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) chairman
M M Joshi.
He was reacting to media reports which had said that Rai,
on the sidelines of a PAC meeting, had dared the Congress to
impeach him in Parliament.
"I write to confirm that I have neither met nor discussed
with any Member of Parliament before or after the PAC
meeting...You are yourself aware of deliberations. I am
bringing this on record to you for action as you deem
appropriate", he said in his letter to Joshi.
CAG, it was also pointed out, was not upset with the
proceedings of the PAC meeting on the 2G spectrum allocation
According to the reports, at the last PAC meeting,
Congress members of the PAC, led by Sanjay Nirupam, wanted Rai
to go out of the meeting arguing that former director general
of audit (post and telecommunications) R S Singh would not be
able to tell his side of the story in presence of the CAG.
Singh is reported to have differences with Rai over the
2G spectrum allocation report which had pegged the losses to
the exchequer at Rs 1.76 lakh crore on account of faulty
policies of the government.
In the constitutional scheme of things, an incumbent CAG
can only be removed by impeachment in Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui