2G case: AIIMS team checks Dayalu Ammal`s health
Chennai: A four-member team of medical experts from New Delhi`s AIIMS carried out a check on Dayalu Ammal, the wife of DMK president M Karunanidhi, here on Saturday to ascertain whether she is in a good condition to depose before a CBI court in the 2G telecom scam.
A key prosecution witness in the case, Dayalu Ammal, 84, is one of the directors of Kalaignar television. She has sought exemption from appearing and deposing before the trial court on grounds of her old age and ailments.
The medical team arrived at her Gopalapuram residence at around 11.30 am and completed their work by 2 pm. The team will submit its report to the apex court which earlier this month ordered the director of All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) to set up a medical board to examine her health condition.
The court passed the order on a petition filed by her daughter Selvi seeking an order to exempt her mother from appearing before the trial court as prosecution witness on health grounds.
Selvi`s counsel Abhishek Manu Singhvi submitted to the court that Dayalu Ammal had been diagnosed with cognitive and behavioural abnormalities and was suffering from Alzhemier`s disease.
The case relates to the receipt of Rs 200 crore by Kalaignar TV Pvt Ltd, in which Dayalu Ammal owns 60 percent stake. The remaining stakes were shared equally by Karunanidhi`s daughter (by another wife) Kanimozhi and channel CEO Sharad Kumar.
The Rs 200 crore received by Kalaignar TV is alleged to be a bribe from Dynamix Realty through Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd and Cineyug Films Pvt Ltd, connected to Shahid Usman Balwa of Swan Telecom.
Former telecom minister A Raja is also an accused in the case.
Though Karunanidhi`s wife holds more than a majority stake in Kalaignar TV, the CBI has not termed her as an accused as she was just fulfilling a legal responsibility after delegating day-to-day operations to CEO Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25