2G case: DMK chief Karunanidhi’s wife moves SC
New Delhi: Dayalu Ammal, wife of DMK chief M Karunanidhi and a key prosecution witness in the 2G case, Monday approached the Supreme Court, seeking its direction to exempt her from deposing before the Special CBI Court on medical grounds.
She filed her plea before the apex court challenging the trial court`s order refusing to exempt her from appearing as a witness in the case.
82-year-old Ammal had earlier approached the Delhi High Court but it had on July 4 asked her to move the apex court for relief.
The high court had also asked CBI to ensure that no coercive order is passed by the trial court till lunch time on Monday, July 8, the day when Ammal has been summoned to appear before the trial court as a prosecution witness.
The high court had asked Ammal to move the apex court as the 2G case is being monitored by it.
Ammal, in her plea before the high court, had contended that she has been diagnosed with cognitive and behavioural abnormalities in June last year and that she is progressively and gradually losing recognition of even her near and dear ones.
It was also submitted that due to her physical and mental condition, Ammal is prone to "abrasive behaviour, clumsy habit with sudden hitting or punching people, inappropriate talk and action and inability to take care of day-to-day activities".
The trial court had on May 31 dismissed Ammal`s exemption plea, saying she is an "important witness" as she was a director in Kalaignar TV Pvt Ltd in which an alleged bribe amount of Rs 200 crore was received.
Ammal had approached the trial court seeking exemption from personal appearance as a witness and to dispense with her presence in the case citing her ailments.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- No takers for Kingfisher Airlines brand at online auction
- Uttarakhand forest fire: PMO assures help for relief work
- AgustaWestland row: Aam Aadmi Party to gherao Sonia Gandhi, PM Narendra Modi's residence on May 7
- Poll contest in Kerala heading from 'bi-polar' to 'tri-polar': Arun Jaitley
- VVIP chopper scam: No deal inked with AgustaWestland, says Govt