2G case: DMK chief Karunanidhi’s wife moves SC
New Delhi: Dayalu Ammal, wife of DMK chief M Karunanidhi and a key prosecution witness in the 2G case, Monday approached the Supreme Court, seeking its direction to exempt her from deposing before the Special CBI Court on medical grounds.
She filed her plea before the apex court challenging the trial court`s order refusing to exempt her from appearing as a witness in the case.
82-year-old Ammal had earlier approached the Delhi High Court but it had on July 4 asked her to move the apex court for relief.
The high court had also asked CBI to ensure that no coercive order is passed by the trial court till lunch time on Monday, July 8, the day when Ammal has been summoned to appear before the trial court as a prosecution witness.
The high court had asked Ammal to move the apex court as the 2G case is being monitored by it.
Ammal, in her plea before the high court, had contended that she has been diagnosed with cognitive and behavioural abnormalities in June last year and that she is progressively and gradually losing recognition of even her near and dear ones.
It was also submitted that due to her physical and mental condition, Ammal is prone to "abrasive behaviour, clumsy habit with sudden hitting or punching people, inappropriate talk and action and inability to take care of day-to-day activities".
The trial court had on May 31 dismissed Ammal`s exemption plea, saying she is an "important witness" as she was a director in Kalaignar TV Pvt Ltd in which an alleged bribe amount of Rs 200 crore was received.
Ammal had approached the trial court seeking exemption from personal appearance as a witness and to dispense with her presence in the case citing her ailments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!