2G case: Maran wanted inquiry into license granted
New Delhi: Former Telecom Minister Dayanidhi Maran had wanted an inquiry into the allocation of 2G spectrum licenses to Dishnet Wireless Ltd, a group subsidiary of
Aircel, during the tenure of his predecessor Arun Shourie, ex-TRAI chief Nripendra Mishra on Tuesday told a Delhi court.
"Dishnet was granted Letter of Intent in April, 2004, when Arun Shourie was the Minister of Communication and Information Technology and was granted license on April 21, 2004," Mishra said.
"As per my recollection, the Minister Dayanidhi Maran had conveyed though his private secretary that there are issues which need to be inquired into and he had desired that the Additional Secretary should inquire and report," he added.
Mishra made the remarks during his cross examination by the counsel for Swan Telecom Promoter Shahid Usman Balwa. Mishra said he had discussed the issues "perhaps" with Maran in December 2004.
He also told the court that representatives of Dishnet had met him as the Sectretary, Department of Telecom (DoT), "to point out that he has not been given spectrum yet".
Mishra told the court that Dishnet was alloted spectrum in Bihar and Himachal Pradesh circles on February 7, 2006, and March 13, 2006 respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack